Old July 11th 03, 09:30 PM
Astromum

Default why do I have to give whole milk to my toddler?

Melissa wrote:
Hello,

I am delurking. I have a 16 month old girl, and don't understand this
whole milk "push". It is the fat and calcium that the toddler's need,
right? Can they not get this from other sources? My child does not
like milk. I no longer breastfeed, but there are plently of other ways
to get fat and calcium into her diet, aren't there? Every pedi visit I
get asked how much whole milk is she getting, and I keep getting told
she needs 16 ounces. Any thoughts on this?

I just asked a similar question on mkb, you might want to check out some
of the answers, but what I got from there it is indeed the fat and calcium.
The most important fat is the Omega-3, which is also plentyful in fish.
I'd think there are many different ways to make sure your child has a
balanced diet, and it is silly to measure a healthy diet with just the
amount of whole milk a child consumes. But they have to set a standard
somewhere, so you can just say 'yes' and do whatever you think is best.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)