Old July 12th 03, 01:13 AM
Sue

Default why do I have to give whole milk to my toddler?

You don't have to give her milk. Yes, whole milk given to toddlers until
about age two (my girls are 10, 6 and 8 and still drink whole milk) because
of the calcium and fat that is needed for brain growth. Will your daughter
drink milk if you make it chocolate? But, you don't have to give her milk
and can certainly find other things to fill in for the milk. If you want to
try other sources, that's fine, but you will have to make sure that it is in
the recommended amount needed for your daughter's age group. I doubt that
your daughter could eat a whole cup of broccoli to get the recommended
amount, but you can try different things throughout the day and hopefully
that will be enough.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Melissa wrote in message
s.com...
Hello,

I am delurking. I have a 16 month old girl, and don't understand this
whole milk "push". It is the fat and calcium that the toddler's need,
right? Can they not get this from other sources? My child does not
like milk. I no longer breastfeed, but there are plently of other ways
to get fat and calcium into her diet, aren't there? Every pedi visit I
get asked how much whole milk is she getting, and I keep getting told
she needs 16 ounces. Any thoughts on this?