Old February 12th 04, 01:12 AM
H Schinske

Default How can I improve my 3rd grade kid Math and Spelling skills (any web sites)

Jeff ) wrote:

I don't think technology is the only answer. 3x5" cards with questions
(3+5=) and answers on the other is one way to go. It will let you spend
quality time with your kid, too.

It would be even better to show math patterns with things like rows of beans,
so that you get a visual sense of things like 3 + 5 adding up to the same thing
as 2 + 6, that kind of stuff. Using math in every day ways, like shopping and
cooking, is helpful too. Kids need to see you doing this kind of thing to think
of it as normal and what everyone should know, rather than just "school stuff"
that is being forced on them. Same with reading.

--Helen