Old October 3rd 06, 05:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
agent99

Default Gyn recommends backup with IUD?

On 2006-10-03 02:18:17 +0800, "agent99" said:

Six months? If I have to use condoms for the next six months, why did I
get this thing put in?!?

My old ob/gyn told me the IUD was effective from the moment it's put
in, and everything I've read corroborates that. I'm just totally
confused. I'll ask her to clear this up, but I just wanted to check in
here and ask if anyone else has heard advice like this after getting an
IUD put in?

TIA,
99

Maybe it was because your other one wasn't in the right spot or
something? As in, she's making sure this stays put before trusting it?
I don't know much about those - I'd rather use condoms!

Jo

Well, I just called their office, and spoke with her assistant. She
says that because the IUD is most likely to wander out of place in the
first six months of placement, they recommend that you use a condom
during that time. Because if it's out of place, you can get pregnant.
But it seems as though this is their standard approach, not something
special for me because my first one did wander. So I said, well if I
have to keep using condoms for the next six months anyway, why did I
just shell out for the stupid IUD? Her response was that I should
probably just use condoms when I'm likely to be ovulating. Except, of
course, that I'm still nursing and my cycles are not consistent, and I
have no idea when or even if I'm ovulating.

I left it that I would discuss it further with the doctor when I go in
for my one-month check. Of course, when I tell her that my old ob/gyn
and everything I've ever read tells me the IUD is effective from the
minute it's put in, she'll point out that my last one left its position
after my first post-partum period. But I didn't get pregnant. And the
IUD moving was caused not by unprotected intercourse, but by the
period.

I'm sensitive to latex and *I* can't stand using condoms. DH puts up
with them, but obviously they're not his favorite either. They totally
kill our sex life. If she really doesn't trust the IUD for the next six
months, I think I'm going to have to totally reassess our birth control
method. DH plans to get a vasectomy someday, not that far away, but
we're still pretty young and I'm hesitant to see him make such a
drastic move.

I guess in the final analysis it's up to us whether we take the risk or
not.

Thanks for the feedback,
99