Old November 10th 05, 02:54 AM
cara

Default Homework for a 5 year old - how much involvement needed.

polzovatel wrote:
Hi,
I've got a question about homework for a 5 year old.

My opinion is that you should encourage his independence even at this
early age ,explain to the child what's needed to be done and how to
do it , let him do it by himself as much as possible, leave it as it is
if even it's not perfect and help him if he asks for assistance .

This is my perspective on it also; My 5 year old gets 2 short
assignments on a Tuesday and its due on Friday. Parents are expected to
help out and sign off on the assignments. After we go over the
instructions, I let her do it as much on her own as I can and help when
needed. As far as nitpicking every little thing, I really cringe at
that approach. I think its giving the wrong message about learning at
this age. Gentle corrections as you go along, or noticing a common
error (ie: making an S backwards, etc) and then arranging an activity
later to help them master that skill seems appropriate, but giving the
message that 'you're doing it wrong, thats not right, do it this way,
thats not the way its supposed to be...' in my opinion will not help
your child be a better student, it will only lead to frustration,
disappoinment in never being good enough, etc. Of course, I have a 5
year old daughter who sort of does this to herself (perfectionist), so I
sort of back off of that a lot to let her see that it doesn't *have* to
be perfect in most cases, it just has to *be* done the best we know how.

Cara