Old November 10th 05, 05:40 AM
dragonlady

Default Homework for a 5 year old - how much involvement needed.

In article ,
Banty wrote:

In article . com, Barbara
says...

Banty wrote:
In article .com, Barbara
says...

SNIP
I think homework for 5 yos is awful. So I'm not much help.

Yeah - I think she should involve herself right to the school board.

Banty

A lot of 5 year olds are in first grade (school districts like NYC with
a 12/31 cut-off; do any school districts still have a 1/31 cut-off?).

No I'm referring to homework being given at such a young age.

I admit I was being flippant..

Banty

I knew that!

It's just that when people refer to 5 year-olds, I think most people
think kindergarten. But in school districts with later cut-off dates,
that's not the case. NYC still has a 12/31 cut-off, so there's a lot
of 5 year olds in first grade. When I was a kid in Philly, the cut-off
was 1/31, so first grade was 1/2 over before I turned 6. While I don't
advocate a lot of homework for first graders, I don't find it
unreasonable, either.

I don't think it's reasonable or necessary in 1st grade.

Banty

I'll go further: I think that homework before about 4th grade is just
plane evil, and ought to be completely done away with.

There is NO evidence, anywhere, that homework before that does any good
whatsoever, and for some kids it just sets them up for homework being a
constant struggle.