Old November 17th 03, 06:50 PM
Elizabeth Reid

Default Yet another "ready for solids?"

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...
Beth Kevles wrote in message
SO, roulette it is, with the odds in favor of the child whose family

has
no history of allergy, or the child who spends its infancy around farm
animals, and even the child who starts daycare in early infancy! Go
figure.

The starting early in daycare seems to fit with the theory that today's
kids develop more allergies because they are in too clean of an
environment while their immune system is developing (due to so many
antibacterial cleaning products, etc.). In the relative absence of real
germs to fight off, the immune system goes haywire and reacts to food
instead. Probably the same theory explains the farm animals effect too.
Barns aren't the cleanest of places. :-)

There was also some sort of study (recounted in 'Parasite Rex', and
I don't know any more of it than that) that argued that it's not
just bacteria, it's other intestinal parasites that we're missing
in some autoimmune disorders at least. I don't know this absence has
an effect on allergies but I wouldn't be surprised.

Beth