Old September 26th 03, 06:54 PM
Larry McMahan

Default Tough decision - Elective C or not ?

paul williams writes:

: Wifes now 36 weeks but baby is measuring up to 40 weeks already so it
: looks very large.

This is notoriously unreliable. Even ultrasound, probably the most
accurate way to measure late size can be off by a pound or two. I
would suggest remaining skeptical.

: Consultant has given us the choice :-

: 1. Elective C-section at 39 weeks.
: 2. Induce at 40 weeks.

Why? I would suggest telling the consultant to buzz off, and waiting
for labor to begin natrually. Is this your wife's first baby? If so,
I think you could be severely limiting your future options by doing an
elective c-section.

: Option 1 seems OK but consultant highlighted the risks involved with
: any C-section.

: Option 2 seems better if natural birth is possible. However, theres a
: higher risk of emergency C-section which is obviously worse.

: Are there any stats on how many Elective C-sections have problems ?

: What about stats on how many large babies get forced down the
: emergency C anyway? What about the extra risks of an emergency C
: compared to an elective?

Some studies have been done showing the following.

1. Women do better in later pregnancies if the c-sections is preceeded
by a trial of labor.

2. Attempting to induce creates a larger risk of having to go with
the c-section.

I have not seen any data saying that elective c-section is better.

: Also, my wifes decided on an epidural anyway in the event of normal
: birth. Does'nt this provide problems with larger babies anyway? I'e'
: forceps or ventouse delivery? Not what we want either....

Why is she certain about an epidural? This also raises the risks of
requiring a c-section. Of course, it may be necessary if your agree
to induction.

: Confused Father....

I would suggest doing your best to avoid all of c-section, induction,
and epidural. Your chances of an uneventful birth are better in that
case.

Good luck,
Larry