Old September 26th 03, 08:44 PM
Kereru

Default Tough decision - Elective C or not ?

"paul williams" wrote in message
om...
Wifes now 36 weeks but baby is measuring up to 40 weeks already so it
looks very large.

Consultant has given us the choice :-

1. Elective C-section at 39 weeks.
2. Induce at 40 weeks.

Option 1 seems OK but consultant highlighted the risks involved with
any C-section.

Option 2 seems better if natural birth is possible. However, theres a
higher risk of emergency C-section which is obviously worse.

Are there any stats on how many Elective C-sections have problems ?

What about stats on how many large babies get forced down the
emergency C anyway? What about the extra risks of an emergency C
compared to an elective?

Also, my wifes decided on an epidural anyway in the event of normal
birth. Does'nt this provide problems with larger babies anyway? I'e'
forceps or ventouse delivery? Not what we want either....

Confused Father....

I am 38 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first was 10lb 8oz at birth,
he was delivered vaginally. This time around I had a scan (to rule out
breech presentation) at 36 weeks and the baby measured at about 9lbs this is
+/- 1lb, the estimate was 11lb by term and his head circumference is
measuring really big.

Fundal height is only a guide and give you a very rough estimate of size.

Given that my first was so large the chances are that the scan is right and
this one will be big too. Probably even bigger.

I will not be having an elective cesarean. I have discussed it with my
primary carer. Induction at or near term is an option but one we both want
to avoid. So the plan is a series of internal exams to hopefully stir things
up, and some acupuncture.

Plenty of people give birth to really large babies without intervention and
have a much better recovery because of it. Some people even say that big
babies are often easier because gravity helps.

I would be really reluctant to have an elective c-section in your position
and I would view induction as a last option. Don't be scared of having a big
baby!

Judy