Old January 8th 04, 03:44 PM
Beth Kevles

Default Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again

My grandmother's neighbor used to shovel her snow for her every winter,
a pretty big job where she lived! She commented one year that she could
tell he was growing up, because he still shoveled her snow but no longer
charged her for it. I think he started shoveling for her when he was
about 10 or 11, and stopped charging when he was about 16 or so.

Kids do need a way to earn money when they're too young to take a
regular job. ANd I've always thought hard physical labor was worth
paying for, if done well.

If your 13 year old neighbor seems to be charging too much, look at how
much walkway you have to get cleared. Consider how long it ought to
take him to do a good job, and in your own head work out a fair hourly
rate. Then negotiate, and include both how much you think the job is
worth, and what the job specifically entails. Do you want just a narrow
path, or the full walkway uncovered? Does it include the full sidewalk
in front of your property as well as the walkway? A walkway to the back
or garage? The driveway? Does he put out salt or dirt as well? For
labor of this demanding nature, we figure on a wage equivalent to $7 or
$8 per hour with a $10 minimum.

So given all that, was $40 really out of line? If only by a little,
perhaps you could work on teaching the child how to negotiate, and throw
in some hot apple cider on completion.

Just my thoughts,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.