Old August 10th 03, 05:50 PM
Karen Askey

Default Positive Parenting Moment

DS (29mo) has to either hold my hand or be carried through parking areas, but

has resented hand-holding for quite a long time. I have dragged him or
picked
him up when necessary, and always explained that "we hold hands in parking
areas", but wasn't really getting anywhere with it.

The solution is: "I like holding hands with you!"

Works like a charm; hope it helps someone else!

We do something very similar. I always tell DS, "Please hold my hand. I feel
safer when you do." He readily complies. Sometimes he will beat me to the
request and say, "I hold your hand, Mommy, to keep you safe!"

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)