Old December 4th 06, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Paula

Default fidgety kids

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:09:27 EST, Louise
wrote:

I'm sorry to be wrong, then. And I'm especially sorry for the kids
who do get "left behind" because their schools aren't providing
appropriate educations for them.

It's hard because there isn't enough money given to the schools to
differentiate education for everyone. Although I have gifted
children, I am more concerned about those who are falling behind. I
have told my kids that it is their responsibility to enrich their
educational experiences if they are ahead or bored. I work with the
teachers on coming up with things they can do that are acceptable to
him or her should they be bored. It is easier to entertain yourself
quietly than it is to teach yourself math, for example, so if the
teacher has to spend more time with the ones who aren't getting it,
that's the way it has to be. I think if the OP explained to the
teacher that the child wanted to read when bored but that the parent
wanted to make sure it was not coming across as disrespectful, they
could probably find a way.

Anyway, it's a life skill to deal with boredom productively. Who
hasn't had to sit quietly and at least seemingly attentively in
numerous boring meetings?

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,