Old April 13th 04, 08:01 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Homework over spring break (long)

In article ,
beeswing wrote:
Robyn wrote:

expecting a teacher to realize in advance
that, for example, internet usage would be a problem for observant
Jewish families on the last two days of Passover might asking a bit much.

How about expecting a teacher to realize in advance that public libraries would
be closed on Easter Sunday and, therefore, having a report due the very next
day isn't the best plan? Or that many students would be celebrating a major
holiday with their families on Sunday and that turning in the report the very
next day, again, may not be the best plan?

If it weren't also vacation week, I'd say that giving a week to do a
project, the last day of which was a holiday on which the library would
be closed and many families would be having major holiday celebrations
would not necessarily be unreasonable. If you hadn't been out of the
country, presumably you wouldn't have been doing your library work on
the last day. So I doubt the library issue impacted many people.
Similarly, those who weren't travelling for the vacation could have
planned their time to complete the work before their holiday celebration.

Hypothetically, if a teacher gives more than enough time to complete
the project, so that one wouldn't need to work on it every single day
to get it complete in time, then having that time include a day or two
when some children wouldn't be able to work on it, or do certain parts
of it (like the library visit) doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

In the situation you describe, it sounds like the project given was a
lot of work to expect students to complete in one week, so perhaps
my hypothetical doesn't apply. And of course, that doesn't even touch
the whole issue of giving students a BREAK from school/homework over
spring break!

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing." -- Theodore Roosevelt