Old January 21st 07, 09:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default baby sign language

Anne Rogers wrote:
I'd like to start using sign language for basic words. Is there an online
research for this?

I'm not sure there is much as of course, they want you to buy the book! But
I'd expect there is an ASL dictionary, there is a BSL (British Sign
Language) one, so then you can look up the words you want to try and use and
learn them yourself, then use them at the right times.

A simple google for "ASL browser" will pull up a great free resource.

Personally, though it is expensive, I am a devotee of Signing Time. We
have *all* of them. They are outstanding vocabulary builders and I know
so much more sign now just from watching them. Shiny loves them too and
is signing quite a bit--she says, Please, Mama, More, Drink, Thirsty,
Cookie, Potty, Diaper, Change, Cheese, Daddy, Sister, Bye-bye, Light
and several others that aren't coming to mind right now. She also
shakes her head "no" and nods "yes", which was helped by the videos. I
strongly suspect they will also help her learn to read. Oh, she's also
done a couple phrases... including Signing Time, Mama Milk, More
Cookie, More Please, Change diaper, Cheese please...

Given our unique challenges with language for her, *THRILLED* does not
begin to cover my reaction to Signing Time. Her likelihood of
developing coherent speech is relatively low (i.e. none of the other
kids with her condition have done so, though all were babbling at her
age)... so every sign that "sticks" is a good thing.

We're seeing a language explosion right now, at 22 months, which is
"right on time" in a lot of ways--a miracle. She's picking up new
sounds and signs very readily, though she often drops them as quickly.
The spoken stuff just does NOT stick. But sign language is stickier
for her, so we're really pushing it in the mix, and all of us are
learning it. My extended family like Signing Time because it's an easy
way to babysit for a half hour, and it subversively gets them signing
too.

Jenrose