Old February 21st 04, 03:28 AM
Penny Gaines

Default Singlet vs Camisole was training bras

Rosalie B. wrote in :
[snip]
My dad always wore sleeveless undershirts and they had bound edges and
were kind of a loose knit in the middle - semi transparent. Not like
the ones Onslow in "Keeping Up Appearances" wears which appear to be
solid knit throughout. Not as sexy as a 'muscle shirt' which are also

Onslow wears a vest. That is definitely a vest, and definitely a
non-respectable way of wearing a vest.

I think what you describe your dad wearing might be called a "string vest"
over he or at least I could describe a string vest in the same way.
Like a net, rather then solid. I couldn't find a picture on the web,
apart from this cartoon:
http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/s/string_vest.asp

They are very like the garments worn by rappers, except they are white.

[snip]
I do not remember ever wearing any kind of underwear as a child
(school age to about age 10) except underpants. (Which we call
panties to distinguish them from trousers which we also call pants
sometimes scandalizing our UK friends who think pants are underwear.)
I know I would sometimes wear a plain T-shirt as a top because I have
pictures of me that way.

[snip]

My kids think it is very funny that you yanks can go out wearing a
"vest and pants" and be respectable, whereas over here "vest and pants"
are underwear, and would not be respectable.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three