Old June 26th 08, 01:07 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default Is this alright??

In article kFA8k.51142$gc5.7097@pd7urf2no, xkatx says...

I have a friend that does a number of questionable things... in the past and
now.

Right now, it's potty training. Her DS is almost the same age as my DD1 -
he'll be 3 in September. She's doing the potty training thing. He will pee
all the time on the potty. He can go a full day in underwear with no
accidents. He'll hold it and only go in the potty (or toilet) and will say
when he has to pee.
The pooping part is the other issue, which doesn't seem to sit well with me.
I do talk to her daily and often enough, I can hear her DS literally
screaming and crying and her constantly saying something along the lines of,
"Go poop on the potty now" or "No getting off the potty until you poop" or
"No ______ until you poop on the potty" The kid is just crying and
screaming in the background.

He will not dirty underwear - he'll hold it for days at a time if need be.
As soon as he has a diaper on (in the case of nap time or bed time) then
he'll dirty a diaper. She has said she's kept him in underwear for days at
a time so he won't be able to go in the diaper but that's when he'll hold it
for days if need be.

A week or two ago I was at the store with her doing some shopping. One of
the main items on her list to get was a laxative - for her DS. She found a
children's laxative, good for 2 and older, that claimed to have basically
instant results. Apparently that night when they gave it to him - while he
was sitting on the toilet - he did go. She's been giving him an enema, and
that's daily. Last time I was talking to her - less than half an hour ago -
he was on the potty again crying and screaming up a storm, she was busy
yelling and shouting to go in the potty (this time it was no going in the
swimming pool until he went poop on the potty) and she took him off to give
him an enema - but only gave him half - then back to the potty he went.
When he didn't go again within about 5 mins, she took him off to give it to
him again. Meanwhile, she tells me that he very well knows what the enema
is and all that, and he's screaming again over it.

She said that he's going to be 3 in September and that 3 is too old for her
to change his diapers. She is set on having him completely potty trained
ASAP because she's not going to change his diapers come 3.

There's a number of things she does (or doesn't do) that really doesn't sit
well with me. This isn't a question about friendship and dropping her as a
friend or not, it's more of if I'm out to lunch on this one, and if I am,
then I'll let it go, but if not, I do feel that I will end up saying what I
really think about it fairly soon.

To me, this almost sounds a bit abusive.

Wow, yes, definite control problem. Enemas can be a feature in abuse. There's
no reason for a parent to be giving an enema.

This may be an occasion to say something.

Banty