Old October 2nd 03, 07:54 PM
Denise

Default military schools?

"Tracy Cramer" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:31:35 +0200, Barbara Bomberger
wrote:

I do think its not for everyone, and it should be a choice that the
child participates in, not that is foisted on him or her.

I agree. Military school used to be my favorite threat (although only a

joke!),
but now my oldest (14) has been talking about attending one for his

junior and
senior years of HS. He has some fairly serious behavioural issues, so the
biggest reason he wants to go to military school is for the structure. He

needs
to have his entire day structured pretty strictly and that's not something

that
can be done very well here with 3 other kids.

I have been spending time looking at websites for the schools in our state

and
expect that if he remains serious about this, I'll have to schedule visits

see what the schools are like. The only reason I've taken his request

seriously
is that he has good reasons for wanting to attend military school and I

think
he's really thought it through.

Military boarding schools are VERY expensive

That's no lie. This is the biggest issue for us -- the schools I've looked

at
run about $20K per year for a boarding student. There are none close

enough for
DS to be a day student, so I'm hoping we can find some serious financial

aid.

FWIW, DS is planning to go into the Army after graduation, so he feels

that
military school would help him make the transition more easily.

Its great that he can see that military school might help him, Tracy. IIRC
he got in some fairly serious trouble, right? I wasn't a bad kid, really,
but I do have ADHD and my daughter has Aspberger's (I find myself thinking
that might be my actualy problem as I learn more). And Military schooling
(AJROTC in high school) and the military (I joined the delayed enlistment
program my junior year) have helped me more than I can put into words. The
rigid scheduling was a huge benefit. And being in AJROTC definitly helped
with the transition from high school to military life.
Denise