Old January 20th 04, 08:02 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

Default How long for alcohol to leave BM?

In article ,
Naomi Pardue wrote:
Um, here in NSW we are legally too drunk to drive at 0.05% -- is yours 0.1%?

Varies from state to state. Most are either .1% or .08. I don't know of any
states where it's ,05%. (However, the main point of the figure was to explain
that, even if mom is solidly plastered, the milk is still going to contain only
a fraction of the amount of alcohol that would be found in any actual alcoholic
beverage, and so would not do any harm to the baby.)

I totally agree moderate amounnts are fine - that glass of wine with dinner
or beer with pizza are going to dilute down to almost nothing - even
"Non-alcoholic" beer can have up to %2 alcohol.

Legally drunk isn't really drunk though, 2 beers can get you to .05%, which
may not be safe to drive, but I wouldn't call plastered by several drinks.

Here's an interesting BA estimator I just found:
http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/bac.htm

This may be more helpful than gauging by the effects - if you are regularly
a heavy drinker your tolerance may be high enough that your blood alcohol
could be high enough to effect the baby without you being noticably drunk,
whereas a normal teetotaler could get pretty sick on that 2 beers.

Some breastfeeding book (can't remember which one) mentioned a woman who
drank so heavily her milk wouldn't freeze - gack!

-Liz