Old August 21st 05, 03:36 PM
Ericka Kammerer

I'm curious as to why it's getting harder to find a doctor in the US
will to do a VBAC? I just finished reading 2 VBAC books that I got in
the library and both indicated that VBAC numbers were trending upwards.
Is my data out of date?

Yep. After that poorly done study a few years ago (2002,
maybe?) all sorts of doctors and hospitals either stopped doing
VBACs entirely or put so many constraints on them that few were
able to get them at all. This was encouraged by many insurers
who refused to insure those who provided VBACs, or upped their
rates exorbitantly. Consequently, the number of c-sections has
been on the rise over the last few years, with the biggest gains
among ERCSs. Subsequent (and prior) research has shown that VBAC
remains a very reasonable option for most women and should be
offered as a choice, but unfortunatly, that doesn't seem to have
stemmed the anti-VBAC tide very much.

Best wishes,
Ericka