Old November 14th 03, 06:33 PM
Elizabeth Reid

Default Yet another "ready for solids?"

(Beth Kevles) wrote in message ...
Hi -

Since both parents have a history of environmental allergy and there's
asthma in the family history, you should follow the sequence for
introducing solids to the allergic child. You see, the inheritence is
for the TENDENCY to allergy, not for a specific allergy or type of
allergy. Your asthma could turn into your baby's life-threatening
allergy to eggs. Or to no allergy at all.

My web site lists a couple of links to solids introduction sequences for
the allergic child. For what it's worth, they ALL recommend waiting
until your baby is SEVEN months old to begin.

The one from J.A. Hall lists foods for six to nine months, so I
don't see the bit about seven months to begin. (The other link
doesn't seem to work, BTW).

I more or less followed this one, but I wish that I'd been able
to find such a sequence which actually explained the rationale
behind some of the instructions. I know I've said this here
before, but I could never figure out why, for example, peaches
were listed as 6-9 but plum was 9-12, or why pears were 6-9 while
apples were 9-12. Citations would have been really nice. I suppose
they might be included if one buys the book.

Beth