Old February 14th 06, 12:11 AM posted to alt.child-support

Default how to file for child support

"teachrmama" wrote in message

"SpiderHam77" wrote in message
oups.com...

teachrmama wrote:

Just because it makes sense, Spidey, does not mean that that's the way
it
will happen. I can imagine a lawyer up there pleading that girls need
their
mothers during the difficulties of adolescence, and that mom has worked
through the difficulties she was experiencing after the birth of her
second
child. She is now ready, willing, and able to be the mother that teenage
girls need and deserve. A few tears from mom, regretting past
decisions,
"Oh, no, Your Honor, I don't hold their father in the least bit
reponsible
for driving me away because he didn't understand post partum depression.
Why didn't I fight for my girls? I was so depressed that I was sure he
would win in court. I was too weak to stand up for myself. The
intervening
years? Well, Sir, it has taken a lot of hard work on my part to get to
where I am today. But now I am ready." quavering smile on
tear-streaked
face You have not experienced unfairness in court, so it is easy for
you
to encourage this man to take the chance. Those who *have* experienced
unfairness are not so sure it is a good idea.

I fully understand thats not the way it always happen. However that
said.. From the info he has given, I really can't see a reason why he
would lose custody. Remember it's been over 6 yrs... we're not talking
like 1 or 2. And if what the OP states is true, the only contact she
has had with them is a few Phone Calls here and there... Bottom line
the courts are out to protect the Childrens Best Interests. The mother
is a parent the children truely don't know... A stranger almost...

The only possible way I could see the mother gaining custody is if
she could prove he has been an unfit father to his children..
Malnourishment... ext.. stuff like that. I cannot imagine a Judge in
their right mind after 6 years all of the sudden deciding to award
custody to the mother.. Maybe.. and only maybe.. if the children
expressed interest in wanting to go... but beyond that.. I just have
trouble with it.

Would you be willing to take that chance for a few dollars of child
support?

That has been my point all along....."spidey" just chooses to ignore it.

Would you risk $100 on a 95% chance of winning $5????

Like it or not, courts are not predisposed toward single dads. If mom has
remarried and has a "stable, two-parent household" and dad is still
single, it would definitely tip things her direction. (Which isn't stated
anywhere, but is a possibility) I think the dad would do well to err on
the side of caution as far as court dealings go. He might also try for a
reintroduction of mom into the kids lives before he tries for child
support.