Old August 9th 03, 12:27 PM
Elizabeth Reid

Default Help! Married with Children

(John) wrote in message . com...

Shortly after becoming a whitewater addict, I got married and now have
two very young kids. My time on the water has been limited. My wife
is a non-boater and the majority of our marital discord has revolved
around river trips. She resents being left alone to care for the
kids, drive shuttles, etc.

This sounds like a troll, but in case it's not:

A fact of life of having two young kids is that your time
to do other things is going to be limited. With creative problem-
solving you can probably still get some time on the river, but
if your solution is, wife should suck it up and allow you
to pursue your hobby single-mindedly while she cares for
your children alone, you're headed for rocky waters, my
friend.

Have you considered adopting something like a 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3
plan? 1/3 of weekends are 'yours', to do river trips or whatever.
1/3 of weekends are 'hers', where you take primary responsibility
for the kids (less any breastfeeding) and she gets to do
some things she wants to do. 1/3 of weekends are 'family',
where you all spend time together as a group. This is just
one possibility, but it's an example of the kind of
problem-solving I was talking about.

Beth