Old May 22nd 06, 09:08 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Expulsion Notification

In article , Scott L says...

Over the weekend, at a neighborhood party, I learned that
4 of DD's classmates had been suspended, and maybe expelled
for smoking pot in the boys' room (during the last class
period!). If such a thing happened in your kid's school,
would you expect some kind of notification from the
principal alerting you to what had happened? (This is
7th grade, by the way). DD said it's been the talk of the
school, among her classmates. I guess I'd like to have
heard something from the administration, not from a
parent whose kid happened to mention something.

Kids are expelled or suspended for any number of reasons, none of the ones I've
learned of via the grapevine would have been of benefit neither to the community
nor to the child if the reasons were broadcast. I would expect a policy which
respected privacy, while leaving open the possibility of notification if there
were an issue of public health, or something like that, involved. Notification
only if the community as a whole needed to know about it, and only what the
community as a whole needed to know about it specifically.

I wouldn't put the pot incident in the latter category. There would be nothing
new to be learned from that, is there.

My school district did send a notice to parents about MyPlace and some problems
observed with it. However it didn't, and needn't have, described the particular
incident that preciptated the concern.

That would, to me, be a better model of how a school district should handle such
things. But I wouldn't expect a general announcement about expulsions.

Banty