Old May 23rd 06, 07:31 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Expulsion Notification

Scott L wrote:
Over the weekend, at a neighborhood party, I learned that
4 of DD's classmates had been suspended, and maybe expelled
for smoking pot in the boys' room (during the last class
period!). If such a thing happened in your kid's school,
would you expect some kind of notification from the
principal alerting you to what had happened?

I wouldn't expect any kind of notification, as others say this is
matter between the students involved, their parents, and the
administration. When we have had similar type incidents in MS/HS there
has sometimes been a generic letter mailed home restating school policy
about some behavior. We also will sometimes get a note about incidents
that occurred near school (suspicious car stopping at a bus stop,
police activity that did not include students but was on school
grounds, etc.) These are either "alerts" or "informational."

I've noticed as my kids move from daycare to preschool to elementary to
MS and now to HS, the amount of information I have gets less and less
and the kids are less and less willing to share. At every transition I
have to remind myself of this new stage and readjust my expectations.

Chris

Chris