Old September 23rd 06, 11:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Welches

Default Need Advice: Breastfeeding with 3 older (13+) stepson's

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Jamie Clark" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
. ..
"Jamie Clark" wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
"Jamie Clark" wrote:
snip
By not
allowing them into the room if they want, or answering their
questions openly and honestly, you are doing both the boys and the
girls a disservice in terms of teaching them about breastfeeding.
You are missing out on a really good learning opportunity. If kids
don't learn about breastfeeding from their parents, then where do
they learn about it from? A book, when they are about to have a
baby, and their chances of successfully breastfeeding their child
will be severely diminished.

I don't agree. It isn't possible for each child to be enough older
to another child to observe breast feeding in the family. One of
them has to be the youngest. And in my case, although I am the
oldest, my sister is only 2 years younger, so I don't remember
anything about my mom bfing. Ditto with my mom who was only 2
years older than her brother. My mom successfully bf two children,
and my sister (the youngest) and I successfully bf her seven
grandchildren.

Successful breast feeding does NOT depend AT ALL on whether it has
been observed in the family. There are lots of other possibilities
between a book, and familial observation.

I didn't say that anyone who didn't see someone breastfeed would fail.
But
certainly you can see that seeing someone breastfeed on a regular basis
would
HELP increase your chances of successfully breastfeeding later on in
life?
Or if male, would help him be supportive of his future wife's efforts to
breastfeed.

I don't think I would say that. Would you see that seeing someone
cook on a regular basis would help increase the chance that one could
eventually cook if you never tried doing it?

Yes, absolutely. You can learn a lot by watching, including the love and
passion for it.

Well possibly that was a bad example. How about playing the piano?

Yes watching that helps:
#1's got quite a good piano finger positions just from watching dh. If you
compare how she plays around on the piano without instruction to other
friends who haven't watched it is very different.
Try again...
Debbie