Old September 23rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Jamie Clark

Default Need Advice: Breastfeeding with 3 older (13+) stepson's

Rosalie B. wrote:
"Jamie Clark" wrote:
"Welches"
Well possibly that was a bad example. How about playing the piano?

Yes watching that helps:
#1's got quite a good piano finger positions just from watching dh.
If you compare how she plays around on the piano without instruction
to other friends who haven't watched it is very different.
Try again...
Debbie

Yes but the example was meant to be for people that did not have any
opportunity to actually do the skill - could they learn just from
watching? Which I don't think they could.

And it really doesn't matter what example you give, the fact is that
being around breastfeeding mothers on a regular basis would
encourage the non-breastfeeding person (be it a boy or girl, child,
teenager or adult) to come to see that breastfeeding is a normal and
good thing, and not sexual. Later on, that same person would be more
likely to attempt to breastfeed their own child, or be supportive of
their spouse breastfeeding their child, or other people
breastfeeding in general.

That is quite true. But you originally asserted that

If kids
don't learn about breastfeeding from their parents, then where do
they learn about it from? A book, when they are about to have a
baby, and their chances of successfully breastfeeding their child
will be severely diminished.

Which indicated to me that you thought that if a child did NOT see
their mother bfing, that a girl would not be successful in bfing and
boys would not be in favor of their wife bfing.

No, I didn't say that they wouldn't be successful, I said that their CHANCES
of successfully breastfeeding (or being supportive of breastfeeding) would
be diminished. People who have never seen anyone breastfeed, nor been
breastfed themselves can and do successfully breastfeed, and can be
incredibly supportive of breastfeeding. My contention is that people who
are exposed (ha ha) to breastfeeding are likely to have a higher chance at
successfully doing it themselves, or being supportive of it in general. Of
course some of those people may not be successful either, but they likely
still will be supportive of it.

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password