Old March 30th 05, 07:26 PM
Ruth Baltopoulos

I haven't followed this thread since it's inception, but
will offer that playing in the streets, as with anything, is
fine in moderation and with caution. Most kids will use
their bikes, skateboards, inline skates, etc along the
roadways, but we do have the occasional group of ignorami
who use the yellow center line as their own personal brick
road.

As for the younger set, I have seen parents who allow
children to set up soccer nets and portable basketball hoops
*in* the road, necessitating a major production of removal
to the side of the road each time a car passes, which I
think is ludicrous. Using the street as an extension of a
play area, or in some cases as the only play area, can work
as long as their is sensitivity on both sides.

Personally, my residential street is like the Autobahn, and
therefore I never allowed my kids to play in the street. I
also have large front and back yards, as well as an ample
driveway, so it never was a big issue....
--
Ruth