Old September 6th 08, 12:31 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_5_]

Default school supplies!

What is it with shoeboxes anyway? Last year we had the teacher telling
the kids on monday that they need a shoebox on wednesday for an art
project. Well, there isn't even a shoe shop where I live anymore. I
finally scored a box in a sporting goods store. Then when I bring it in
on Wednesday and tell the teacher that next time could she please give
us a weeks warning she goes "Oh, I went and got some boxes yesterday
anyway, just in case, you needn't have worried" well, why can't she go
and get all the stupid boxes if she's going to go and get some as backup
anyway, or at least let us know that it's not a huge deal if we can't
find a shoebox.

I think it's because going and getting 30 boxes is a lot harder work
than getting a handful and also is likely to end up costing, stores are
likely to be happy to give the few they have on hand, but I suspect that
shoe boxes are squashed up and disposed of before they get to that
quantity. With pizza boxes, if you nip in, smile sweetly and ask for
one, you'll probably get it, if you ask for 30 they'll charge you and if
they can't work out how to put that through the till, you'll go away
empty handed.

It is a challenge to build the kind of relationship and understanding
that has the parent understanding that it would be wonderful if you
could bring in the shoebox, but if you can't, don't worry.

Cheers
Anne