Old October 3rd 03, 03:29 PM
Tracy Cramer

Default military schools?

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:21:24 -0600, "ColoradoSkiBum"
wrote:

That's pretty interesting that he has decided that all on his own.

What you need to understand is that this is a child that was having very serious
problems. His early childhood was tumultuous and he has some behavioural issues
(ADHD, ODD) as well. To be frank, his behaviour was causing a lot of problems in
our family and it came to a head last year. While we could have kept him home
and just continued to sweep the problems under the rug, we decided to have him
commited to the juvenile correctional system. It was a really tough decision to
make, but 18 months out, I can see that it was the right one because I can tell
how much he has matured and grown in that time. He's getting the help that he
needed that we just couldn't provide (because the types of programs he's in
aren't available on an out-patient basis around here).

We've seen a lot more thought put into his future, including the issue about
military school. He has the desire to lead a decent life and be a responsible
person that contributes something positive to the world. In order to do that, he
knows that he needs every minute of his day to be structured.

I had a
student when I taught in Missouri, as a freshman, the kid was just
awful--very smart, very nice one-on-one, but would absolutely ruin any
classroom he was in due to his behavior. Then one day he disappeared--went
to Colorado to live with his dad and go to military school. He came back to
visit a couple years later, a totally different kid: Polite, well mannered,
and he said right out that that was exactly what he needed.

Some kids aren't able to understand that a highly structured environment is best
for them, and some parents miss that as well. It sounds like this kid really
turned himself around thanks to the school, which is good to know!

Tracy

We child proofed our home 3 years ago
and they're still getting in!