Old September 5th 03, 10:09 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Default Losing too much weight?

Cheryl S. wrote:

DS is two days old and had a check up at the pediatrician two hours ago.
His birthweight was 8 pounds, 1 ounce, and at the doctor's office today,
weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces - right after a bm. They asked me to bring
him back tomorrow morning, and said that if he has lost any more weight
they are going to want me to supplement with formula. Is 8 ounces
really a concern? I thought losing up to 10% of birthweight was
normal - that would be 7 pounds, 4 ounces. DS has been nursing great -
very little nipple pain, nurses often and very actively, and my milk has
even come in already, he's been nursing so much. He's had tons of wet
diapers, one bm yesterday and two today. The big bm right before he was
weighed today was already looking transitional from meconium to regular
stool. I can't believe there's a problem here. Opinions?

I was told that babies lose up to 10% of their birthweight within the
first week. If DS is only two days old, I wouldn't worry. He'll
probably start gaining by the end of the week.

Congrats!
Jeanne