Old November 1st 03, 09:07 PM
Belphoebe

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

"Joni Rathbun" wrote in message

I'd have been happy to meet an instructor
like you tho after my experiences with the other courses, you might
have had to do some convincing Your students today have probably
had similar experiences.

Having read your other post regarding your own teaching, I can say I wish
I'd had a teacher like you in grade school--your approach sounds wonderful.

I could understand the frustration you expressed in that post, since I've
always done quite a bit of group work in my courses, and missing class makes
a difference not only for the student who missed, but for those in his/her
group.

That said, all my years in college, I only had one professor
present an attendance policy. He allowed NO absenses for any
reason. He promised to grade down one grade for each day missed.
As luck would have it, I had a required art course that required
a field trip which would cause me to miss that professor's course
one day. I tried to make arrangements. I got a professor from
Course B to talk to the professor from Course A. But I still
got the B.

I didn't think it was fair or appropriate and protested
to the powers higher up. My B was changed to an A.

I've always understood that emergencies do happen, so I'd never insist on a
zero-absence policy.

--
Belphoebe