Old November 26th 03, 05:19 PM
LFortier

Default Review: The Cat in the Hat (1/2)

Steve Rhodes wrote:
THE CAT IN THE HAT

As the studios are counting the cash that the film's name draws in, they
have much more to be embarrassed about than the lack of energy in this kids'
movie. Most of all, they should be ashamed of the lewdness of the humor in
a PG-rated -- get serious MPAA! -- movie marketed to very young kids.
Although I could go on and on, let me provide you with a few examples: The
kids watch in horror as the cat ogles a Playboy like pinup pull-out of their
mother. As the cat tries to lick a garden hoe, he calls it a "dirty 'ho,"
but says that he loves it anyway. The cat is struck hard in the groin with
a big baseball bat. We see a man's naked buttock farting. All manner of
profanity is used, but they cut off the last letter in order to fool the
easily fooled MPAA. One of the songs, which are all awful, is about cutting
off a guy's balls. We have a dog pee on food and have jokes about fish
peeing in the water. And there is a scene of vomiting into a barf bag.

Ugh, thanks very much Steve. I knew it looked pretty dumb,
but hadn't heard about all that stuff. Definitely one to avoid.

Lesley