Old February 9th 04, 07:05 PM
lizzard woman

Default Dual Language Program

"KimandJuan" wrote in message

(snip...) The children in programs like these have entered 5th grade not
only
| being proficient in both languages but are actually ahead in English then
their
| peers whom did not participate in the program.

I'd like to peruse the evidence for this statement if you have it handy.

My main concern is that our
| program is only in its first year and I don't have much to compare it to.
| was wondering if any of you have any such programs in your area or any
personal
| experience with these programs. I want to make sure I am making the most
| informed decision. For those of you that aren't familiar maybe you could
give
| me some of your concerns, maybe they are things I haven't thought of.

I don't know about those programs but I can report that here in Calgary
where they have French Immersion public (though Catholic) grade schools,
they don't publish their English standardized reading test scores. That is,
you can look up ALL other public school reading and math test scores EXCEPT
those for the French Immersion schools. I suspect there is a reason for
that.

I can't see how working so much in another language can possibly boost the
English reading test scores. To the extent getting into a good college
requires good standardized test scores, I probably wouldn't consider it for
my girls. I don't know if being fluent in another language can overcome
test scores when trying to get into college.

That's my take on it.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)