Old February 9th 04, 07:55 PM
Missy in Indiana

Default Dual Language Program

Kimberly,

Well, I have no hard core data currently at my fingertips that would be
beneficial. As far as a personal opinion goes (based on previous research), I
would do it. My reasoning is that there are many benefits to dual language
schools other than just linguistics and writing. The "bicultural" aspect of
which you spoke strikes the strongest cord with me. Also, the strength a 2nd
language gives a child when mastering his first language is a huge benefit. It
sounds odd, but when studying more than one language, you get an insight into
your own that is invaluable.

My mother is an English teacher and I'm the first in my family to *not* choose
to be a teacher. My family and I discussed private vs. public, dual language
vs. traditional, college prep. vs. traditional, etc. Each time I feel the
pressure of doing right by the girls, they remind me that the main source of
success will be determined by the amount of help/motivation a child gets from
the parents regardless of the school. So, don't stress too much about it.
Yes, it will be important to offer them the best you can. But, you need to
tailor it to the child and also to what you will be teaching them at home on
your own. The very fact that you are concerned and involved will give your
kids an advantage that sadly many children never see, IMO.

Good luck!
Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)