Old September 18th 05, 06:48 PM
Jeanne

JennP wrote:
"Claire Petersky" wrote in message

Someone alerted me to this website: http://drivetoschoolhallofshame.com/
that has photographs from a different school, of all the chaos caused by
parents who are driving their kids to school. What is this craziness?

WIWAK,

the only time you got a ride from school was when you were sick or
something.

Our town has a *huge* problem with this. It's become a very serious safety
issue. Not only do they not walk if outside the bus radius, but the busses
are practically empty because so many parents drive their kids to school.

JennP.

Our neighborhood also has a big problem with this. Lots of buses are
half-filled. The other pet peeve of mine is that many of these parents
are working parents so they are often in a rush, hence the unsafe speeds
and rudeness. It's pretty much a madhouse.

I think, for some reason, people think it's unsafe for children to be
riding the bus or walking so they end up chauffeuring their children to
school. I'm not talking about working parents who drop off their
children at the school's before-care or students whose neighborhoods
lack sidewalks - these are cases where parents need to drive their children.

Our neighbor refuses to let their daughter stand at the bus stop for 5
minutes (usually two moms are there as well) because they think random
strangers will note the presence of the children and try something.
Instead they take their daughter to before-school care at a local
daycare for 5-10 minutes and let them take the girl to school. It's
certainly their choice and if it makes them feel better, it's a valid
solution but I wonder what makes them feel the neighborhood is so
unsafe? It's your typical middle/upper-middle class suburban
neighborhood with sidewalks, with a low crime rate, never a kidnapping, etc.