Old March 9th 06, 07:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default birth control reccommendations?

Hi, Betsy. In addition to the bone density issues, there are also other
things they are beginning to discover with the depo. I, too, had very
irregular and painful periods and they put me on it. It stopped my
period, but I was then told had to go off of it 18 months before trying
to conceive. We lost the first PG at 7 weeks and our first son was
delivered at 21 weeks gestation and died due to a case of anencephaly.
They've never said for sure but think there may be link to the depo as
I was on it for a few years. If you guys even remotely think you may
have more children, I would strongly discourage the depo.

I looked into using the Nuvaring when we started disussing birth
control, but doc told me that any combination hormonal birth control
(both estrogen and progrestin) can decrease your milk supply. So, they
put me on a mini-pill, progestin only. I've had no problems with milk
decrease as a result, but it is a pain to remember taking it every day
at the same time ...

Although no personal experience, I have heard they've come a long way
with IUDs in recent years.

There's always the lovely "barrier methods", which if you aren't sure
you ever want to have sex again may just be the mood killer you're
looking for. =)

Just my two cents.