Old November 9th 05, 04:23 PM
Barbara

Default Homework for a 5 year old - how much involvement needed.

polzovatel wrote:
Hi,
I've got a question about homework for a 5 year old.

My opinion is that you should encourage his independence even at this
early age ,explain to the child what's needed to be done and how to
do it , let him do it by himself as much as possible, leave it as it is
if even it's not perfect and help him if he asks for assistance .

My husband seems to think that he's got to stand behind his back all
the time, point out every time when he does not form a perfect letter,
rub it out and ask him to do it again and again...
I think from such an experience the child might just hate the whole
process in the future or alternatively expect detailed instructions and
approvals from us when he's much older.

Any views?

Honestly, I think it depends upon what your child wants and needs.
Some kids find it comforting and helpful to have a parent at their
shoulder; others neither need nor want that. You know your child best,
as to what he needs.

OTOH, I wouldn't *throw him to the sharks* at this age. Rather, I
would check the homework after it's done, and go over things that he
got wrong. This will give you, as the parent, a better feel for how
well he is learning the material, and give you the chance to help him
where needed -- even if he hasn't recognized the need yet. Now that
One is 8, *help* usually goes like this: *read question number 3 to me
again* *If the train leaves at 6 pm, and the trip takes 2 hours and 45
mintues, when will Pedro arrive?* *OK, how long was the trip?*
*OHHHHHHH! I didn't see the 45 minutes! It's 8:45!* Sometimes,
though, it's a concept he didn't get, and I can help and give him more
examples, or alert the teacher to the difficulties. (Caveat -- One has
a language-based learning disability that makes a lot of these things
more difficult for him; maybe my world-view is based on his needs.)

I'm really not worried that helping now is going to cause problems down
the road. Every year, he demands and receives a bit more independence.
I imagine that's how it goes for most kids.

Barbara