Old April 3rd 08, 03:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Default I hate homework!

Hi, again --

I happen to agree with ALL the frustrated responses my previous post
got. My suggestions do help many kids ... but certainly not all.

The BEST thing to do is organize a parent revolt. You can bring up the
topic of excessive homework at PTA meetings, display the research
(plentiful) that shows elementary school homework tends to be a Bad
Thing and is rarely, if ever, shown to improve student learning, etc,
etc, etc.

As a teacher, I experimented with giving homework in one school, and not
even permitting homework (without prior written permission from me) in
another school. In the second school, all work to be graded was done in
class ONLY. In the school where homework was required, I found that
students thought of themselves as "bad at" the content area when really
they were just bad at working at home. In the other school, where
homework wasn't allowed, students had a far more realistic assessment of
whether they were "good" at the subject (although some just had issues
with concentration that confused the issue -- not many kids). And the
kids worked harded IN class when they knew that was the only place to
get work done.

As a parent, I wrote notes freely when my kids were in elementary
school. Come middle school I'm cracking the whip. My older son is
becoming diligent.

When I lived in England, many years ago, my brother's school (for the
under-11 set) didn't assign any homework because they said it wasn't
fair to those kids whose parents couldn't help them with it. Not
assigning homework let those kids keep up.

But, if you can't change the system fast enough, then you've got to
decide what approach to take. Timers can help. Chunking homework into
small bites can help. Taking long breaks every 10-15 minutes can help.
Stickers can help. Explaining to your child that it's learning, not
grades, that matter can help. Taking it up a level to the teacher's
supervisor can help. Switching schools can help. Or nothing may help
but time, and getting older.

Maybe we need an international organization: Parents Against Elementary
School Homework!

Does anyone have a kid who thrives on homework and wouldn't want it to
disappear?

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.