Old September 19th 06, 04:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Default Need Advice: Breastfeeding with 3 older (13+) stepson's

Irrational Number wrote:
wrote:
I am about 3 months pregnant and I have 4 stepson's (one away at
college) ages: 13, 13, 16 and 18. [...]

Anyhow, I was hoping that someone out there can offer me some advice
about breastfeeding with older children, specifically boys, around.

The first couple of weeks, breastfeed in your bedroom
so that they don't see you naked from the waist up
for hours at a time while you learn how to breastfeed.
With DS#1, I didn't know how to BF with a bra on and
I was so exhausted that I didn't care, but there were
only DH and my mom around.

This can certainly happen, and you may want some
privacy if it does, but I just wanted to add the encouraging
note that it doesn't always take that much time or
difficulty.

Then, practice breastfeeding in front of the mirror so
that you don't show too much flesh. Yes, BF is natural
and good, but you don't have to flash everyone all the
time.

And this is also not all that challenging to do.
You'll find out what works best for you. Towards the
end of pregnancy, invest in a good nursing bra or two
(remember to allow a little room for growth) and practice
opening and closing it one handed. Have a nursing
nightgown and/or some nursing tops, but many women find
that a loose t-shirt works very well. Don't invest a
lot before you figure out what sort of bras and clothing
work best for you, because different women have
different preferences.
Don't worry too much--by the time your baby's
a month old, you'll be wondering why you were so worried
about any of it ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka