Old July 24th 04, 02:49 PM
Rosalie B.

Default Winter clothes

(Hillary Israeli) wrote:

In ,
Denise Anderson wrote:

*We're moving to the Chicago area in the middle of winter this year. DDs 1
*and 2 will be in a school district that requires uniforms, so that's one
*less thing I have to worry about. But we're moving from the Pacific
*northwest where it gets cold but not *cold*, kwim? I'm getting ready to put
*some clothes on layaway at the Navy exchange for all the girls for school
*here, but I'm debating whether or not to put anything like sweaters and
*jackets and such because I have no idea what they'll actually need up there.
*Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of cold weather clothing I
*should invest in before the move for DDs ages 6, 4, 3 and under 6 mo?

I'm currently in Maryland. When dd#1 was born we lived in Norfolk
which was cold and very windy but didn't have much snow. After dd#2
was born we moved to Monterey California (fairly temperate), and then
to Key West Florida where dd#3 was born. We then moved to
Philadelphia in January. DD#1 was 7, dd#2 was 5, and dd#3 was 8
months. I had no suitable clothes for anyone but dd#3 (snow suits
that her sisters had worn in Norfolk) and me (stuff from when I went
to college in northern Ohio). DH of course wore uniforms. I also had
to buy a dryer. One of my first purchases (from Sears along with the
dryer) was quilted winter jackets with a hood (this was in the late
60s before a lot of high tech fabrics - I thought I had a photo of
them but I can't find them). Later I got other clothes like
http://p.vtourist.com/649226.jpg which was an Easter outfit.

Well, I'm in Philadelphia, which has fewer bitingly cold and snowy days
than Chicago as far as I know. I was also traumatized as a fifteen year
old by visiting my aunt and uncle in Evanston, IL one weekend when it was
something like -25 F (that's NEGATIVE 25!) although I think that was a
record temp at the time and I think it still stands today . So I would
definitely get the sweaters and jackets and stuff. My kids here in
Philadelphia (ages 4 and 2 this winter!) have sweaters, polyfleece-lined
jeans (usually bought at Old Navy), socks, snow boots, lots of turtlenecks
and sweaters, at least one decent waterproof snowsuit per kid (sometimes I
have extra from gifts or whatever - last year one neighbor gave me a
gazillion pounds of stuff from her son, I may not need to buy snow clothes
for my son for three years ), mittens (the lands end kid mittens with
the flap are the BEST), lands end squall jackets, scarves and hats. FWIW.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/...47550476128000

Think layering. http://p.vtourist.com/1523577.jpg is a picture of us
going to the Army Navy game in the late 50s - I am wearing a black
fake fur coat which I still have and which I was glad to have when we
moved to Philadelphia, and a scarf. My dad is wearing a flannel
shirt, an overcoat and a hat. You want to be able to take things off
when you go indoors.

I used to go to Chicago for training periodically (actually Des
Plaines but whatever), and they'd send me in January. I would wear
things like corduroy pants (because I don't like wearing wool although
it is warmer), turtlenecks, a vest (which I got from WearGuard which
makes less expensive work clothing that unfortunately doesn't help to
http://www.wearguard.com/category2.h...rt=wg_blizzard much with
children's clothes), a winter coat (uniform coat from work), and I
always had gloves and a thermal hood which I got from Damart. (they
have good thermal clothing but unfortunately now only sell in the UK
and Europe). The problem with thermal underwear is that it is too hot
if you are indoors but I think it is important to keep the head warm.

grandma Rosalie