Old January 5th 09, 03:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

Default Another C-section question...

"Ericka" wrote in message
Kat wrote:

With a c-section, it's not a case of in and out within like 24 hours or
less in the hospital as it is with a regular birth. I still have 3
others to deal with every single day and can't do that laying in a
hospital room.
But... I am set on getting my tubes tied, and I'm wondering if it makes a
difference to have it done as soon as possible or wait however long to
get it done after - which would then mean a surgery at a later date and
recovery time as well... Plus finding a sitter again or someone that can
stay with the kids, and leaving a newborn or very small baby with someone
for more than a couple hours... Plus, the driving thing - I know you're
legally impaired after a general and surgery for something like 24 hours
(or is it 48 hours??) Anyways, I'm just stuck on this one...

Barring some kind of medical indication for a c-section,
I think that the vaginal birth wins hands down. You'll bounce
back faster (which you need), and no matter how you slice it,
c-sections carry more risk to yourself and your baby than a
vaginal birth (obviously barring real medical indications for
a c-section). C-sections have become safe*er* than they
used to be (for which we are all grateful, as there are times
when they're necessary), but they are not as safe as vaginal
birth.

I do definitely agree with this. I also know that I don't take to a general
very well at all. Well, going to sleep is just fine, but waking up is NOT
alright with me, as I found with that first, and only, emergency c-section.

Having your tubes tied can be done laparoscopically
and is usually done on an outpatient basis. It seems to be
the case that waiting a little bit after the birth improves
the effectiveness of the tubal ligation. If you were to
end up with a c-section, the small increase in efficacy
probably wouldn't outweigh the benefits of getting it all
done while they were already in there, but I would think that
no way would the risk/benefit ratio work out to suggest you
should choose a c-section in order to get your tubes tied
at the same time. A c-section is much more extensive surgery
than a laparoscopic tubal ligation. You can have a tubal
ligation done while you're still in the hospital after a
vaginal birth as well, but then you're getting slightly
less efficacy, and if you ask me, I sure as heck wouldn't
want to be poked and prodded right after giving birth.
(I don't imagine a tubal is ever particularly fun, but for
me personally, I'd choose to recover and then go back later
for the tubal ligation.) Of course, if you're going to be
in need of contraception soon after the birth, then maybe
it would be good to deal with the tubal ASAP, but otherwise,
you could wait and it wouldn't be a huge deal to do the
tubal after you'd recovered.

Those that I know that have had a tubal went in for the surgery. They were
put out completely, the procedure was done and then they were sent home
shortly after. It didn't take too long from when they were in until they
were sent on their way, and I was told that it was fairly straight forward.
I guess you're probably right... The c-section, I know, I had a fairly long
recovery time with it. It was a month before I even went back to classes
after, and for a while, I was not in good shape at all. Maybe it would be
best to wait until after to get it done. There really won't be any need for
contraception after the birth. I'm done with the drama and issues that N
brings with him and I'm not having him around any time soon, and there
DEFINITELY won't be any need for birth control right after unless I turn
asexual and manage to reproduce with myself

Best wishes,
Ericka