Old November 13th 03, 10:12 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Default Pedicures/Calf Massage...total no-no?

Sue wrote:

It certainly is a medical fact or at least it was when I was in school. I
learned this through medical training I recieved as as a nursing assistant.
We were not allowed to massage calf muscles because of blood clots that
could be there and it can loosen up and move to the lungs. However, I don't
think all people are at risk, but certainly a pregnant woman would be with
more blood flow. Certain people who are bedridden, but if you are an active
pregnant woman, than I am sure the risks are very low. But, it is true. )

When I was pregnant with the twins, I was Medivac-ed to a hospital
because the local doctor thought a clot travelled from my leg to my
lungs. I was having leg cramps (a common occurrence during pregnancy)
but I also had trouble breathing and had started to hyper-ventilate
(later attributed to altitude sickness plus tiredness/anxiety).

They took a bunch of low-level x-rays and everything was fine.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau