Old November 5th 06, 05:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Default How to start storing milk?

wrote:

Are there any tips that someone may have
about when to pump or how often so that I can get some milk stored up
for DS?

(1) It takes several pumping sessions to get
enough milk for one meal. Getting 1 oz. is
average when pumping in addition to nursing.
(3 oz. when pumping instead of nursing.)

(2) Pump once a day, every day, whenever it
works. (For me, it was during "Law & Order"
at 10 pm.)

(3) Pump to get 1 oz. Freeze that. In
4 days, you will have 4 oz., enough for one
feeding.

How can I get him to accept the bottle more readily when I am
away?

Remember, you have to do what works for you.
For me, I never worried about what baby would
eat when I was away. If he doesn't get any
milk for 3 hours, well, he won't starve. DS#2
reverse cycled, so he probably drank 5-6 oz.
grudgingly while I was at work. But, it was
not a big deal because he nursed so well when
we were together. (He was 26 lb. at 6 months.)

If you really want him to drink something, have
the caregiver try a spoon, cup, syringe, whatever
is on hand. Personally, I wouldn't worry for
a couple of hours here and there.

-- Anita --