Old November 5th 06, 11:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KD

Default How to start storing milk?

Irrational Number wrote:
wrote:

Are there any tips that someone may have
about when to pump or how often so that I can get some milk stored up
for DS?

(1) It takes several pumping sessions to get
enough milk for one meal. Getting 1 oz. is
average when pumping in addition to nursing.
(3 oz. when pumping instead of nursing.)

(2) Pump once a day, every day, whenever it
works. (For me, it was during "Law & Order"
at 10 pm.)

(3) Pump to get 1 oz. Freeze that. In
4 days, you will have 4 oz., enough for one
feeding.

How can I get him to accept the bottle more readily when I am
away?

Remember, you have to do what works for you.
For me, I never worried about what baby would
eat when I was away. If he doesn't get any
milk for 3 hours, well, he won't starve. DS#2
reverse cycled, so he probably drank 5-6 oz.
grudgingly while I was at work. But, it was
not a big deal because he nursed so well when
we were together. (He was 26 lb. at 6 months.)

If you really want him to drink something, have
the caregiver try a spoon, cup, syringe, whatever
is on hand. Personally, I wouldn't worry for
a couple of hours here and there.

-- Anita --

For us, we started giving our son a bottle of EBM about once a week,
just so he'd know what to do with it. He's not given us any problems
with bottles, although he doesn't seem to eat as much when fed that
way.

In the freezing department, I've started freezing in ice cube trays.
That way I have small amounts available if I just want a bit to mix
with his cereal or whatever.

Maybe I'm just weird or have loads of milk. I can get four ounces from
one side if I do it in the morning, provided my boy has slept most of
the night.

Anita - 26 pounds at six months, wow! My guy was 23 pounds 10 ounces
and 29 inches tall at six months. Everyone thinks HE'S a giant!

KD & G