Old November 6th 06, 02:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default How to start storing milk?

wrote:
I'm going to be working part time within the next month and I want to
start stroing milk for when I'm away. I don't know when I will start
or how long I'll be away. Are there any tips that someone may have
about when to pump or how often so that I can get some milk stored up
for DS? Also, he rarely gets a bottle, I only pump on special
occassions, so he has a habit of refusing and holding out. He's never
been left with anyone but family and only then for no more than 3
hours. How can I get him to accept the bottle more readily when I am
away? Any help would be much appreciated.

I'd recommend trying more frequently to give the bottle. DD adamantly
refused, and was still refusing when I went to work at 12 wks. However,
she survived . Mostly she reverse cycled, and I went at lunch. So
often she'd only take 2, maybe 3 ozs in addition to our 45 min lunch
sessions between 7:45-4:30. Then she nursed all night. Now she's taking
more. The few times I didn't go at lunch she just took more. It's like
she holds out then once she realizes I'm not coming, gives in. I wish
we'd have started earlier than 6 weeks trying (tho she had an oral
aversion initially) 'cause it was really stressful for me.

For now, pump after you nurse, 1x/day. Most people get the best yield
in the morning. I only had a small stash when I went to work, mostly
left over from the first 3 wks when I was exclusively pumping, and the
odd early morning pump here and there. Once I started working and
pumping 2x/day, I always had enough for the next day. now I have about
1-2wks' stash.