Old May 28th 04, 03:34 PM
Mary W.

Default of queens and cats, was frustrated with Doctor. Am I rightfulltso? (a bit long, but need

Hillary Israeli wrote:

In ,
Cathy Weeks wrote:

(Vicki S) wrote in message . com...
*
* horse: mare - stallion?
*
*Actually a female horse is only a mare after it has given birth, I
*think. Prior it's called a filly. Stallion is a male horse that has
*not been neutered (if it has, it's called a gelding). A young male
*horse is a colt.

A female horse is a filly until reaching sexual maturity at about 24 mos,
then she's a mare. Unless you're a racing authority, in which case you may
have a different definition (the thoroughbred authority, for example, says
a filly is a filly until she's five, IIRC).

I was thinking it must be something like this. I'd feel silly calling
my 30 year old appaloosa a filly.

My mind is full of useless crap. Thank you, national veterinary examining
committee for guaranteeing that I will always have something to discuss at
cocktail parties.

I found it interesting! I also found the udder discussion interesting....

Mary