Old August 25th 06, 01:27 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Default How Dangerous is Childhood

"L." wrote in
oups.com:

toypup wrote:

I remember in a documentary recently that she was six
aisles over, which can't be very far.

I wouldn't leave my six year old at all.

i don't leave mine anywhere, but he's allowed to go an aisle
or two away.

A security guard took Adam out of the store and left him
there when the boys started arguing. I hope that guard
feels as guilty as she should for her part.

I would think the mom should have heard her son arguing
and maybe should have kept a closer eye on him, but the
guard should never have escorted a six-year old out of a
store and left him there.

nope, he shouldn't have, but it's fairly common in malls for
the store security (anchor stores) to kick kids out of thier
stores back into the mall. usually not coordinated with mall
security either.
i used to work in a mall & you'd be amazed at what parents
do. people used to try to leave kids in my store *all the
time* because we sold video games & had test stations set up.
if i saw the parent do that, i'd tell them as they headed for
the door that babysitting was $25/hour, per child. funny how
no one wanted to pay.
if i didn't see them in time (helping other customers or
whatever), i'd call mall security to take the kids to the
office. retail sales people are NOT babysitters, no matter
what our store sells. i'm not & my employees aren't resposible
for watching your kids.
oh, & we had a pedophile manager for a brief time until one
of the other employees & i got him fired... so remember that
can happen too.

I have never read anything about a security guard being
involved - and I have read Walsh's books. (Albeit a long
time ago.) I will have to check that out! In fact, I
thought they looked for him in the store for quite along
time - seems a guard would know he had been put outside...

*a* guard may have known he was put outside, but the security
guards don't always communicate with each other. if it was
shift change, the guard who put him out would most likely not
tell his replacement about it, or anyone in another
department.
lee

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be