Old June 2nd 06, 05:45 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids

Default abc's crisis of the foster care system (cross-posted)

xkatx wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
abc's primetime did a june 1 story on "the crisis of the foster care
system"..............among abc's conclusions were 52 percent of foster
children suffered from post-traumatic stress (a rate twice as high as
soldiers returning from war).............thirty percent of the homeless
have been in foster care............ twenty-five percent of those in
prison are foster care alumnus............. like welfare, foster care
is intergenerational (children growing up in foster care can become
mothers with children in foster care........... "the highest ranking
federal official in charge of foster care, wade horn of the department
of health and human services, is a former child psychologist who says
the foster care system is a giant mess and should just be blown
up"............."there are no provisions for treatment, prevention,
family support, or aging out - just for supporting things as they
are"..........that status quo costs taxpayers $22 billion a year and
works out to $40,000 a year to keep a child in foster
care....................beyond abc's findings, the per annum cost per
child in foster care would keep a child in a good boarding
school............

Although I'm not going to debate statistics or argue about anything (I know
for a fact how our system in this part of Canada works, and although I don't
know how ABC's info adds up to how we are over here - but I am assuming
numbers are not far off) You have to think of what's the lesser evil.
The costs are so high. It's tiresome to a point, but in order to just up
and dispose of any foster system, you need to no longer have a need for it.
Is the money worth it for the statistics to be basically horrible as far as
everything goes, or is it better to allow children to be in crisis
situations? Every foster home and foster parent or family has guidelines,
and they're fairly strict as far as every day life goes for the homes. How
would numbers sit if there were no alternatives (such as foster care)?
Would abandon rates go up? Would welfare numbers go up? Would there be
even more cases of abuse, neglect, would the situations be better or worse
if you assume society is the same minus foster care?
No, I don't know those answers, but it is something to ponder.
A good boarding school may offer a child less harm, a better education, more
support, but when the home situation is generally not good, and without
foster care to help a percentage, how would the statistics stand for
homelessness, prison numbers, welfare rates, etc...
If you think of it according to numbers, only 48% don't suffer pts, 70% will
wind up with some sort of roof over their head, 75% stay out of jail.
Also, I'm not at all agreeing to the comment about children growing up in
foster care can become mothers with children in foster care. There *is* a
dad for every child as well.
Anyways, is there really a better answer, alternative, way to go about the
obvious problems that are clear?

Sure, sweep the problems under the rug, stop keeping any records on
incest, beating deaths, starvation, deliberate injuries, drug effects,
and those other things that CPS takes children for no good reason 0:-
and pretend it's gone.

Soon the data on children will reflect only what the sick souls you
answer in reply to want them to reflect.

However, those children that survive will continue to flood, as adults,
the mental health facilities, the prisons, and the graveyards...if they
make it that far before they become adults.

The illicit drug industry will continue to grow as those children no
longer served by and protected by society self medicate into adulthood.

The gangs will be overflowing with recruits, and illegal gun purveyors
will fatten with the increased income.

Hospital trauma centers will be overbooked 24/7 with lines out into the
streets.

We will have a lot of organ donors though, but sadly, many will have to
be rejected because of drug and disease related injury and deterioration
to organs.

Meth will meet it's great potential and nearly replace most other drugs.
Children will be made whores at an earlier age as they wise up to the
truth around them, that society doesn't care what their parents do to
them hence they have no worth other than what they have to sell.

Sound weird.

Well, ALL THIS IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. We ARE ignoring this problem, and
it's being systematically lied about by those that DO want to do to
their children just what they wish, no matter how damaging and cruel.

They look like normal people, they can even talk like normal people, but
in fact they are NOT normal people...yet they think they are.

And they help each other by joining in special interest groups to lie
about the problem as they number one strategic goal.

You have met some here.

Kane

contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin (or someone else)