Old August 19th 07, 03:29 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education
Ericka Kammerer

Default cover article in Time magazine on gifted education

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

And what concerns me a bit is that it's not going to always work for all
children at all times. The statement that placing a child who can read in
kindergarten is emotional torture kind of bugs me, because while a 5 yr old
might be reading on a 4th grade level, that doesn't mean that they're not 5
yrs old and going to school in the big building for the first time.

As a general rule, however, social development tracks cognitive development,
not age.

Eh, I'm not sure how much I buy that. I know an awful
lot of immature gifted kids. At the same time, that doesn't
necessarily mean that they are at the same place as their age-peers
either. Often gifted kids live with not fitting in all that
well socially *anywhere* (and therefore they sometimes feel
most comfortable with sensitive adults who can adjust as needed).

Seems to me that what children need is:
* a chance to befriend people who are similar to themselves (eg intellectual
peers, fellow-hobbyists)
* a chance to befriend people who are different from themselves
* a chance to succeed
* a chance to fail (eg academic challenge)

Put those together and you get resilience. Miss one, and you cripple the
child emotionally.

This, I would agree with--always keeping in mind that
there are many hours in which to meet these needs, not just the
school hours.

Best wishes,
Ericka