Old December 13th 03, 08:46 PM
Dennis Here

Default Stuff

'Kate 'Kate wrote in message ...

"Dennis Here" wrote

HanK wrote in message

At least people would start on an even playing field, and then a court

could
take individual circumstances into account.

I would rather see equal custody as the starting point and each parent can
work BACK from it with the co-operation of the other parent. The courts
should only be used to rubber stamp the agreement.

The problems associated with this are the same with mother presumed
custody. The one with the money wins.

I don't see that arguement. Each parent gets 50/50 irrespective of who has
how much money. It's a done deal. A default arrangement.

It would take an investigation
of circumstances to weigh the custody more favorably toward one parent
or the other.

No, it would be up to one of the parents to say that they did not want the
child/ren for 50% of the time and they would then have to negotiate a
financial arrangement with the other parent accordingly.
Investigations do not come into it.

Investigations increase the cost of custody battles.
There's no perfect system. Our best bet is to work with families before
divorce happens and build support systems into the community for married
couples with children.

Like what? Make parents sign a written contract to support their children
when they register a birth?

Dennis